I had a few facebook requests for my apple butter recipe. My mother-in-law sent it to me and she originally got it from a customer at her place of employment. So, I wouldn’t say it is a family recipe or anything…but perhaps we will adopt it as one =)
Anyway, here it is.
All you need:
10 lbs tart apples ( cored and finely chopped – leave skins on!! just scrub apples really good first)
3 3/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2-3 t cinnamon
1/4 t ground clove (+)
1/4 t ground nutmeg
1/4 t salt
1/2 cup apple cider (not apple juice, need to use cider)
What to do:
- Fill crock pot with apples, add sugars and spices. Pour cider over top and stir well.
- Cover and cook on high for 2 hours stirring occasionally.
- Turn crock pot to low for 6-8 hours.
- Puree in blender and return to crock pot.
- Turn back to high and cook 1 hour uncovered.
- Pour into warm jars ( taken from boiling water to make sure lids and seals and jars all disinfected). Put seals on top and put lids on tight. Place jar upside down on a towel until jars are completely cooled. ( usually overnight) Tip from Mom-In-Law: We use a ladle and a large mouth funnel to put the apple butter into the jars without making a mess!
This recipe makes approx 7 12 oz jars
Picture Tutorial of our Kozma Apple Butter Day:
NOTE: Matt and I halved the recipe. We used about 12 medium-large sized apples but we pretty much just filled our 5 QT crock pot with just enough room for the lid. So I don’t really know if we used 5 lbs of apples or not. We got 4 jars out of it and it is oh so yummy!